Unit 11 Analysis + Discussion Mughal Painting. Due Dates on Sat., Nov. 20,
Detail of the painting by Bichitr, Jahangir Preferring a Sufi Shaikh to Kings, (ca. 1615-1618), Mughal culture. Image credit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/interactive/2021/bichitr-jahangir-sufi-shaikh-kings/
Unit 11 Analysis + Discussion Mughal Painting
Write an essay of 200-300 words in response to the assigned articles listed below, following the directions provided:
1. View the following video and read the online article below:
Rice, Yael. “Jahangir’s Dream,” (Links to an external site.) Khamseen: Islamic Art History Online, video, 15:26. October 16, 2020. https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/khamseen/short-form-videos/2020/jahangirs-dream/ (Links to an external site.).
Kapadia, Roshna. “Bichitr, Jahangir Preferring a Sufi Shaikh to Kings.” (Links to an external site.) Khancademy.org, 2021. https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-islam/chronological-periods-islamic/islamic-art-late-period/a/bichtir-jahangir-preferring-a-sufi-shaikh-to-kings
2. List 3 main points made by Rice on the significance of the dream imagery in the Mughal painting, Jahangir’s Dream.
3. List 3 main points made by Kapadia on the Mughal painting, Jahangir Preferring a Sufi Shaikh to Kings.
4. Then, in a separate paragraph or two, answer the following question: How does the portrayal of the Mughal emperor’s relationship to other rulers in Jahangir’s Dream differ from that in Jahangir Preferring a Sufi Shaikh to Kings? Support your arguments with iconographic and visual details in the paintings.
5. To view a high resolution image of Jahangir Preferring a Sufi Shaikh to Kings, click here. (Links to an external site.)To view a high resolution image of Jahangir’s Dream, click here. (Links to an external site.)
6. Your essay should demonstrate comprehension of each authors’ main points and supporting evidence.
Do not use any other sources.
7. This assignment requires posts:
An initial essay of 200-300 words minimum due on Saturday, Nov. 20, at 10 PM.
8. USE CHICAGO TURABIAN NOTES AND BIBLIOGRAPHY STYLE:
Any quotes and paraphrased information used MUST be attributed in Chicago Turabian Notes and Bibliography Style.
For examples of correctly formatted Chicago Turabian footnotes, click here.
For an example of a correctly formatted Chicago Turabian bibliography, click here.
For a helpful video on formatting your paper in Chicago Turabian style, view: https://youtu.be/-fmLDyNXW9U.